
-- We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers'
Cause we are the champions - of the world - Queen
The last few years for Venus have been rough. Injuries, successive losses to Serena in Grand Slam finals and the death of her sister had taken there toll on her mentally and it showed in her game. Many analyst excitedly touted her demise; and moreover, took every opportunity given to bash her form, technique, coach, off-court interests, attitude and anything else they could think of.

-- You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise. - copyright © Maya Angelou

I am truly inspired by her grit, determination and perseverance. When all the cards were stacked against her she refused to accept defeat.
Postmatch Interview Excerpts:
Q. Does this win have special meaning to you?
VENUS WILLIAMS: I think, for sure, it has special meaning. I was the 14th seed. I wasn't supposed to win. I guess whoever put a bet on me really came in good on that, at the beginning of the tournament. But I always bet on myself.
Q. Did you know you would win a fifth Grand Slam title? Were there ever any doubts in your mind over the past two years?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Oh, no. I knew my destiny was to be in the winner's circle. There were times along the way where I didn't make it there. But I felt my destiny was definitely to win big titles, win lots of titles.
What's your destiny? Are you fighting to make it a reality even though the odds may be against you?

No comments:
Post a Comment