Friday, May 12

Its Contagious

Speech disfluencies: are parts of speech which are not generally recognized as purposeful or containing formal meaning, usually expressed as pauses such as uh or er.

When I am watching interviews on various networks (most commonly ESPN) or listening to callers on the radio I am completely distracted by the disinfluencies I hear. I can't even focus on the points being made. I keep thinking why can't they spit it out? why do they keep saying umm, uh, etc so much?

Unfortunately, I have noticed that my own speech pattern is increasingly being filled with disinfluencies. Yikes!!! I really don't understand why that is. It's driving me crazy - I know that. I'll start speaking and the next I know I am I am stuck saying "uh..umm" grasping for any word(s) that'll help me finish my thought.

1. Which disinfluence do you hate hearing most:
A) Umm: ex. I was hoping...umm..you had this shirt in a large
B) Like: ex. I, like, saw this crazed looking dog
C) You know: ex. I was telling him, you know, life is too short
D) Uh: ex. The other day you said, uh , you hadn't seen my wallet.
E) the stutter: ex.. The notepad is mine but the-the-the pen is his.
F) You know what I am saying: ex. This is stupid, you know what I am saying, I have more important things to do.
G) Fill in your own

2. Which one do you make use of most?

I really hate hearing "you know what I am saying." It drives me up the wall. Sadly, I use "uh and umm" a lot.

4 comments:

Waddie G. said...

It's like I hate the word "like" the most, but like I tend to use it most often.

also add when a person says "okay" after every sentence.

Bballmom said...

My daughter uses "like" all the time. It drives me crazy. I tend to use "and umm" way to often.

Rose said...

I interviewed on a radio and was so surprised that I used uh..umm, and right and okay too much. That shocked me. I would have never thought I would say those words that much.

E said...

I don't realize half the time what I'm saying...but I'm sure I've done the "umm, ok" bit and maybe a dash of "you know whut um sayin'"