Friday, June 22

Some People

say the darnedest things. It seems nary a week goes by without me getting blindsided by a personal attack of some sort. I really hate to call this latest incident a personal attack. It makes it sound bigger than it really was in magnitude and significance in my life. It was less of an attack and more a pot shot seemingly aimed at me.

Yesterday, I had a brief IM conversation with an acquaintance that I converse with once every 7 months. The conversation was initiated by him and began with him asking how I have been and him sharing about the great many things he's been doing of late. So he segues back to my emotional well-being and the following exchange occurs:

Him: last time i spoke with you, u werent happy about a few things
Me: I am still not happy about a few things. But trying to enjoy the journey as much as possible
Him: it really is a good journey. it could be so much worse.
Me: speak for yourself. everything is relative
Him: i am speaking for myself. besides, a grateful heart would know that the journey could be worse

Come again? Did he just imply what I think he implied? Did he go there with the church-speak too? Oh hell no! I contemplated going there with him but I took the advice of another to leave well enough alone.

9 comments:

kathi said...

I must be missing something or there is more to the story, cause I don't get what he said that was so wrong. Maybe he was just trying to be encourging and used the wrong words...but what's wrong with 'grateful heart' and why is that categorically 'church-speak'?

Don't you just love me?

Shawn said...

Kathi No, you aren't missing a thing. There's nothing wrong with having gratitude. Was he trying to be encouraging? Hell no! He was being a condescending religious-bot.

kathi said...

Okay, you know him better than I do...obviously. But, do tell, what is a 'religious-bot'?

Shawn said...

Kathi Someone who turns every conversation/discussion into issue of faith. While doing so, spouts off religious catchphrases they've heard at church or read in a book.

kathi said...

Okay, good...that's not me, then. Right? Right? :)

Shawn said...

Kathi No, that's not how I view you. You talk about faith, God and your Christian walk often on your blog but you don't come across as a religious-bot. Your thoughts and expressions sound genuine and not scripted.

M-Dubb said...

Shawn,

Get outta my head! I've been having an exchange with a "friend" that's sounded the same. But he told me I didn't know the lord.

All because he says he was cured of an allergy one day at church. I'm just sayin, how you get cured of something most people thought was suspect to begin with?

CreoleInDC said...

Yew. He went there with the church-speak.

princessdominique said...

He must be psychic to know that you're not grateful. Wow. Pious comes to mind.