Monday, April 10

These Quotes Are Killing Me

Updated

- Peter Lanteri, director of New York's chapter of the Minutemen, a volunteer border watch group, said he thought it was "ridiculous" that illegal immigrants were protesting for their rights. (I'm glad I'm not the only that finds their protesting for 'their' rights odd.)

"Illegal is illegal, and they break our laws to come here," Lanteri said by telephone. "We want the illegal immigration stopped and the borders secured. - My sentiments exactly

- "These are people that are willing to take any job, clean bathrooms, scrub floors for a measly penny so that they have an opportunity to live in this country ... and yet we want to send them back because they want a better life?" Santiago said. (their willingness to take any job doesn't make their journey to this country noble)

- other american's opinions (for and against amnesty reform) click here

- Judy Baar Topinka, the Republican candidate for governor, said at a news conference Monday that she favors stronger border protection first, before a resolution of how to deal with immigrants in the country illegally.

"The borders have to be secured in whatever way that takes; because of terrorism, we have to know who is coming in here and where they are and what they're doing," she said. "We also have a business question and that is, are we talking about American jobs that are being taken? ... I would maybe argue that maybe if you paid people more, you would ultimately be able to get more Americans getting people jobs."


1. "We all know pay is not the same everywhere and lot of people won't work for the minimum here, so if they won't take the job, what's the problem?" said 47-year-old Jose Salazar (Problem: you're here illegally)

2.Elsa Rodriguez, 25, talked about the baby girl she expected to give birth to in about three months. "This is why I had to be here," she said. "She's going to be a U.S. citizen and I'm here illegal?" (Problem: anchor babies must be addressed)

3. Nineth Castillo, a 26-year-old waitress from Guatemala who joined the Atlanta march, said she has lived in the United States for 11 years "without a scrap of paper." Asked whether she was afraid to parade her undocumented status in front of a massive police presence, she laughed and said: "Why? They kick us out, we're coming back tomorrow." (Problem: That's why we need to send yo asses to jail. You obviously have little regard or respect for the nation you cling to.)


4. We're hoping that employers stop to consider what this is all about," organizer Adriana Galvez said. "That if you need people here to do the work, to buy, then give them a legal channel to get here." (Problem: believe it or not we have a legal way to get here. people apply for citizenship to the US everyday.)


5. Inocente Gonzalez, 19, an illegal immigrant from Oaxaca, Mexico, who is living and attending high school in Vineland N.J. and wants to become a doctor. "I want to stay here to continue with my studies," said Gonzalez, who was wearing a sombrero and a Mexican flag. "We have a voice. We have to stay here because this country needs us." (Problem: is he serious?)

Hey, maybe we americans can all protest to make it a right of every US citizen to receive 1 "get out of jail free" card for a seemingly petty crime. Shouldn't we all be able to break the law once and be told..."well, that's not such a bad crime. You go on your merry little way?"

Yes, I am being facetious and an ass but wrong is wrong. We shouldn't have to accomodate their wrong behavior. We Americans aren't afforded that luxury in our own country. They are squatters as far as I am concerned.

The audacity of some of these undocumented persons is disturbing and appalling.

9 comments:

Bballmom said...

They are a bit off in their thinking, but, if we don't have these undocumnted workers her eto pick crops, build houses and clean buildings, do you REALLY think Americans will do those jobs? For the pay that is offered? Really?

I think that is the bigger question at this point. Let the folks that are here stay and pay taxes. Make it more difficult for others to get here.

4GOTTEN1 said...

Yo I definetly agree with you they definetly shouldn't be allowed to stay here. Americans couldn't do that shit in any other country yet people can sneak here and live illegally and that is supposed to be okay...WTF...Ship their asses back home.

Wendy said...

I feel you on your points.I'm thinking about this too. I think if we start to fine the employers hefty sums then maybe this will turn around. How will they get found out? You know people love to tell on you. Especially if they are angry with you.If they want to stay in this country, then let them apply for residency just as anyone else has to and pay taxes like everyone else too.I don't want to hear about the wages no one else will work for. There are millions of Americans working hard every day for the miserable minimum wage and paying their taxes, if you ask me it equals out. I sure don't see alot of americans in the western union lines sending what "little" money they've made to anyone.

Shawn said...

bballmom - Of course americans aren't going to work for anything less than minimum wage..and why should they? However, is that reason enough to allow undocumented workers the privilege or right to become legal citizens? In my opinion, no! Personally, I think it is rather condescending, selfish and oppressive for us to reason that we need a certain group of people to work menial jobs that we are too good to work ourselves but deem necessary for maintaining our way of life. That reasoning is one of ideals American southerners used as an excuse for continuing slavery.

At the moment, we don't who will work what jobs because those positions are filled. We also have several able bodied men and women sitting around in our prison system. If we really need someone to do the work, we have an untapped resource readily available.

This policy helps Mexicans and Central Americans most. Shouldn't we also be accomadating all the haitians we've turned away? Wouldn't it be nice if we could help Mexico get it's economy together so their citizens can find better employment in their mother country?

I just don't think we should reward their disregard for our rules.

4Got- we sure can't go elsewhere and squat then demand citizenship

Wendy - thanks for commenting...I'm so silly. It wasn't until yesterday that I realized that undocumented workers have not been paying taxes.

I'm all for applying to get gain access legally.

My point: there's a right way to do things and a wrong way.

Rose said...

What I hate is this: Many of these people are getting the opportunity to get loans to start businesses when Americans can't. I think they should do the right thing and come here legally. I posted on this same topic. But I am impressed that they are willing to march and possibly be deported for what they believe in. We will not do the same. Too much lip service by us...

Bballmom said...

Shawn,
I understand what you're saying about the lower wages, but that is the reality we are faced with. Bush and his big business friends are not going to change that. And we are going to be stuck paying for it in the long run.
Certainly, they could use the prison system when it comes to the low wage labor, thats probably a really good idea. But will big business buy into it?

There is certainly a lot up for debate here. Everybody has an opinion on it, that's for sure.

Shawn said...

bballmom - I feel like we can explore other options before granting amnesty to those that have sneaked within our borders.
If we set the amnesty precedent, right? Do you offer amnesty to the next wave of undocumented persons that can't afford to get in the country the legal way, don't agree with the legal process of applying for citizenship, or whatever the case may be.

There are so many complexities to the immigration issue. There is going to be great fallout no matter what decisions are made.

Rue said...

I don't think sending them back is the issure for people right now. I think arresting them and throwing them in jail is. I don't feel that is neccssary. I have no problem with deportation. There should also be stricter penalties for the owners of American sweatshops who hire them...no questions asked. In Canada we have an agriculture exchange programme. Workers from as far away as the West Indies come here to work over the Spring and Summer months. They have to return home in the fall but in the meantime they can earn a good wage to bring back to their families. I am not sure if something like that exists in the States or how it would be instituted if it is not. Now mind you, OUR immigration policies definately need revision but this programme seems to be working so far.

Rue said...

pardon my typos...rough week at work...speaking of sweatshops LOL!