Wednesday, July 25

TV, TV, TV, TV

Because of certain aspirations I now have, I watch exorbitant amounts of tv trying to get handle on what's good or what's bad, why certain shows make it on-air, why certain shows fail to catch on and I'm always dissecting a good show to get understanding of what makes it so good. As a result, I've been test driving loads of shows. Its tiring trying to keep up with all of the shows. Thank goodness I can download a few of them.

1. I watched Glenn Close's new tv show Damages last night and I don't know how I feel about it just yet. I'm still trying to process everything, the characters; tone; acting; plot. There was something intriguing about the show that drew me in, yet there was something that turned me off. I'm trying to figure out what's throwing me off. Anyone see it?

2. I've watched 2 episodes of ABC Family's show Greek and I don't get why this show was made. I certainly don't understand what ABC-F found interesting about the concept. An intelligent, likable nerd entering his first year of college wants to learn how to have fun so he pledges a fraternity.

3. Rock of Love is a boring carbon copy of FoL. It fails in all the areas FoL succeeded.

4. I might become a weekly Lifetime viewer after watching the first episode of Side Order of Life. ;-)

5. I love Lili Taylor but the first ep of State of Mind didn't make me want to tune in again. Her acting was on point but the storyline was muddled.

6. HBO should do us all a favor and pull the plug on John from Cincinnati. It's one of the worst shows I have ever seen. Oddly enough, it's so bad that I watch every week to see how much worse its gotten.

7. Conceptually, I think Age of Love is a fun idea. I don't know why but it doesn't hold my attention.

8. Flight of the Concords cracks me up.

9. I don't know why I watched the entire The Starer Wife miniseries. It stared with a little promise then it fizzled.

10. Ma.ki.ng the B.a.nd 4 has been quite entertaining.

11. Top Chef still has me hooked but a lot of the chefs look unsure of themselves.

12. My fav newest show is Burn Notice. The writing is smart and funny, and the performances are strong.

13. Did anyone watch The Next Food Network Star? Jag was something else.

14. I'm glad they finally replaced that son on the Dead Zone. The original actor was bland.

15. The 4400 is losing steam. The show has hit a comfortable plateau. They need to mix it up.

16. The game show Without Prejudice on GSN has piqued my interest.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock of Love...haven't watched it but have seen the previews. It looks stank.

Only shows I'm watching that's on your list is Making the Band and Top Chef. I'm waiting on Bravo to bring back Project Runway.

Have you seen The Closer on TNT? A very good cop/crime/drama show.

kathi said...

I've watched very few of the ones that you mentioned...Starter Wife, Side Order, State of Mind and Burn Notice and I agree with most of what you said. I do LOVE Burn Notice, it's smart, funny and it keeps your interest. Plus, it's sexy in a mental way.

M-Dubb said...

Age of Love is a good show. I've been able to keep myself entertained just on the sheer cattiness of the age groups.

That, and Maria is like an older white version of New York to me. She's soooooooooooo in it for the airtime!

African girl, American world said...

what's burn Notice about?
I watched like 4 mins of Rock of Love. Starter Kit Wife was alright, I watched it for Aniki.
Do you know what show I absolutely love? Baldwin Hills.
Speaking of tv I'm watching House of Payne and my husband figured out what's lacking...it is like a play. The timing is all off!

Shawn said...

Southern Gal Yea, I've seen The Closer. I was a big fan of the show season 1 but lost interest at the start of its 2nd season. The quirks of the lead character started to annoy me to much to enjoy the show. Not to mention, I hate crime shows where the good guys never lose.

Kathi Burn Notice does have sex appeal.

Marlon Is that right? I got tired of hearing the petty, snide remarks between the age groups.

Mwabi Don't get me started on House of Payne and the mess that it is.

Burn Notice is a bit tricky to explain. If I tried I'd butcher any decent description.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE Burn Notice. I love smart spy movies and shows. The fact that this one is also funny and sexy makes it that much better.

I just discovered The Closer this year. I like the show a lot. However, I could understand how Brenda's quirks could wear on you after a few seasons. :-)

I enjoyed the Starter Wife - I am a big Debra Messing fan. I liked all of the characters with the exception of Joan. I'm not even sure what it was about her that irritated me so. I was a bit disappointed with the last couple of episodes.

Other faves: My Boys & 30 Rock.
Strange discovery: My Name is Earl.