Tuesday, January 9

Hard Being Mature

I don't know if many of you remember me mentioning (many moons ago) that 2 former friends of mine dicked me on the business deals I was working on with each them individually. FF #2 had major attitude following the incident and treated me like I was the one with questionable integrity. There was something especially grimy in the way the fallout went down with FF#2 that made me lose all respecet for them. FF#2 was well aware of my fallout with FF#1 and used specific details from that incident to 1) slap me in the face and 2) rationalize the need for me to accept a far less substantial deal than FF#2 on the project in question.

For the sake of business, I tried to keep the door of communication open with FF#2. We had a deal on the table and to avoid anymore confusion and squabbles over deal points I chose to play it cool. I made it a point to keep conversations brief; and to express myself in a non-emotional, non-confrontational manner. Ok! So a few months after the intial "dicking" I called FF#2 to get an update on the project and share some information. What I encountered puzzled me. FF#2 answered my call and proceeded to act like they didn't know who I was for a minute. Yes, I mean a literal minute. I knew immediately that FF#2 had erased my numbers from their cell. I thought to myself "how childish?" I got the information I needed - the deal with FF#2's contacts had fallen through - and kept it moving. That was our last conversation for 2 years...maybe a bit longer.

Last week, I received a call from a friend (who used to fuck FF#2) telling me that FF#2 was eager to speak to me and had asked for my number. This call followed FF#2 popping up as a friend request on myspace a week prior. And the myspace friend request followed FF#2 bumping into another friend of mine in the streets 3 weeks before that and telling them to have me give them a call. At this juncture, my interest was piqued. I thought "this is gonna be entertaining. FF#2 has no legitimate reason in the world for wanting to reach me. what could this possible be about? I'm game."

Later in the day, FF#2 called and immediately launched into conversation about life and old times like there's not a drop bad blood between us. I half expected the subject of our fall out to be discussed. But nope. Not a word about it was mentioned. Instead, what I received, but didn't expect, was an invitation to lunch to discuss future business dealings. People I sat in stunned silence on the phone.

I agreed to lunch but haven't called back to set up a day. I'm wondering, if we do meet, will I ever get an apology? Or, an adult conversation about what went wrong?

8 comments:

Bballmom said...

Part of me wants to say have lunch, check out the deal. But on the other hand, you know this person is untrustworty, so why waste your time.

Whatever you decide, don't look for an apology, I doubt you will be getting one.

By the way, is this person a Scorpio?

Shawn said...

bballmom - Nope. A Taurus.

As far as wasting my time, lunch would be for entertainment purposes only for me and my other friends that are well acquainted with the situation. Anything business related would go in one ear and out the other.

Bballmom said...

by the way, my daughter loves her tshirt. And her classmates keep asking her, 'did your mom know what that meant when she bought the shirt for you'.

too funny

Fresh said...

Hey Shawn...I think you should pursue it but you know that this person is not to be trusted so you need to keep things strictly business. That is, AFTER you are the adult and bring up the topic of the fall out. I find that most of the time I don't like to dig into the past but you are the type to want to resolve issues. I have the feeling though that "this person" isn't going to be upfront with you about what went down. That is usually why I don't bother going back into old issues with folks. But yeah, if you two can still do business together -- make it happen!!! You know now that you must always keep the upper hand. There was a great article in the recent Black Enterprise or NV about business partnerships and creating agreements that you may want to check out.

Shawn said...

bernie I gain absolutely nothing by having lunch. However, FF2's bullshit is hilarious, at the moment. I know lunch will produce a great many things for me to look back and laugh at.

bballmom I'm glad the shirt was a hit. That IS too funny. Her friends think she has the coolest mom in the world right now.

Berry thanks for the advice. we'll see what happens.

kathi said...

Go, if you want, for entertainment, but never go into business with someone who's already burned you. You have bad feelings about him, could anything change those feelings?
You're a smart guy, you'll work it.

Rose said...

I wouldn't waste my time meeting with someone who has burned me, really what purpose would it serve? This person in my opinion must think you are an easy target if not, the first thing they should have done was apologize. I don't get...why on earth would they want to see you- to pay you back your money?

Miz JJ said...

If you go to lunch do not go expecting anything. Expectation is the mother of disapointment.