Thursday, November 16

An 80s Flashback

I woke up this morning with the tune Seasons Change in my head. That inspired this week's playlist. I was such a pop music fan in those days.

Music always stirs your memory. Why is that? These songs make me remember the little, pleasant things from back in the day.

  • I remember riding the Amtrak from Downtown LA to San Diego. I always had to eat a bag of peanut M&M's
  • I remember being sent to Boy's Super Market by my Great Aunt. We always messed around on the train tracks and threw rocks on the way to the store. There was this open field next to the center where the store was and it always reeked of dead flesh. We would always hurry up and run through the field to avoid the smell as best we could. We'd soon encounter the unique smell of the cleaning solution from the neighborhood cleaners
  • I remember hoping my older cousins would give me .25 cents to buy a scoop of ice cream on a cone from Thrifty's. Thrifty's always had the best ice cream when I was growing up
  • I remember riding in the car with my mom listening to the radio. My mom would sing along to her favorite tunes and it would drive me crazy when she'd sing in her falsetto instead singing full out. And she always sang with lots and lots of vibrato. It would drive me insane
  • I remember that we always left a lamp on the days when we knew we be coming home late with the radio playing softly in the background to hopefully convince a potential burglar that someone was indeed home so they wouldn't break in

8 comments:

princessdominique said...

Ahhhh the memories. It's great to have such vivid recollections. Throwing rocks, reeks of dead flesh *smh*

Fresh said...

OMG, Thrifty's Ice Cream!!!!! And yeah, the mom memories are also in synch. Sigh. I still do that stuff. Now I leave the light and radio on for Ms. Kitty though.

SP said...

Hey, I still leave the lamp on! LOL!

African girl, American world said...

oooh I remember my Mama taking us to breakfast every Saturday at a lil cafe and sitting by the window.

I remember my siblings and I sitting in 'our' guava tree (we each had our spots) and talk about what we were going to do when we grow up.

Harold Gibson said...

thrify was the bomb man!!! and thanks for Sybil's Don't make me over.

ShellyP said...

Seems like a lifetime ago. I could never have imagined then what my life would be like now.

Khristi Lauren said...

Oh no! A former Christian Shawn. Say it aint so. You sound like a seminarian.

African girl, American world said...

the deprogramming of a former christian...LOL! I just saw that.