Pronunciation: 'snap-"shät
Function: noun
1 :
2 : an impression or view of something brief or transitory snapshot of life back then
Ever have those moments when a distant memory sneaks up on you out of nowhere? I've been having a lot of them lately.
“He’s in shock” my grandmother said into the phone receiver cradled in her ear. I stared blankly at the wall while lying on my side with my back facing to Granny. I listened to her to carry on over the phone expressing her grief, remorse and concern.
Granny and I were never really that close. With the unexpected and untimely death of my mother she had taken it upon herself to become my guardian. I knew immediately that it would never work. Her being my guardian that is. I wouldn't let it work. No! Never! Not in a million years. I would never allow that woman to “care” for me. Not after the way she had treated my mother.
You see Granny had favorite children and favorite grandchildren and it affected her interpersonal relationships with all involved parties. Her favored children were never required to give her much of anything - help, gifts, money - while the other children were expected to give their last drop of blood if she deemed it useful and necessary to her survival. Granny never made the other children feel appreciated for their efforts; and that's where the disconnect existed between Granny and my mother. My mother was seeking unconditional love and appreciation from her mother; but Granny never expressed it. At least not in a tangible way that my mother understood. I know they had conversations about it but there were still lingering doubts. My mother died wondering if her mother truly loved her and I hated Granny for it.
"I don't know what I'm going to do. Ethel was the only one that ever did anything for me" Granny said as she sobbed into the phone. Listening to those words infuriated me. I wanted to stand up and scream from the top of my lungs "You got a lot of nerve woman. She died thinking you didn't appreciate anything she tried to do for you and now you want to tell the world she was the only one that did anything for you? I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! How you could do that to my mother?" I had heard enough. I had to get away from her. I grabbed my pillow and my blanket and walked to my cousin's room. I hoped the distance would help drown out the sound of my grandmother's voice.
“He’s not saying much. He’s not saying anything at all!” she said sadly into the phone. I could still hear her through the walls and the sound of her voice was sickening. I couldn’t take much more of it. The wound was much too fresh. Just five hours before I had listened to an ER doctor tell me that my mother had died. What are you supposed to say after you’ve heard something so tragic at the age of 17? Of course I wasn’t saying much.

9 comments:
ok you know me so you know I want to give you a big hug. And I know you don't want it :)
That happens..snapshots. I've had a few lately. I wonder if they're trying to tell you something.
Do you believe in contacting your Mom on the other side?
And my Granny was the same way, she loved the mess out of her boys, hated their wives and shildren. She played favoritism with her girl's children. When she died, none of us cried (at least none of my siblings and I). My aunt asked us to say one nice thing about her and it took forever for us to think of something.
Damn shame, isn't it?
Mwabi No I don't believe in contacting people on the other side.
Yea, that is a shame.
I was asked to read a poem at my grandmother's funeral because, as my aunt put it, "we know you'll be the only one not torn up during the funeral." Sure enough I didn't shed a tear.
Awww!
Strange how similar our families are. I remember the day my mother died my grandmother gave me a bottle of liquor. That was her way of comforting me.
It's always borderline schitzophrenic when people have their own watered down version of the truth. People don't realize how much damage they do with that kind of behavior.
Wow, what a flashback to have. I find myself lately trying to remember things from my past just so I don't forget them.
Shawn I never got a chance to meet my maternal grandmother, I wish I did. But it is said that parents show more love to the kids who don't do so well in life, never help them, and mistreat them. I have seen this happen in my own life. My mother is totally crazy about certain members in the family I just think it is because they show a need to have that from her and that's all she give give. See they are failing in other areas so they feel special knowing they are love. But love should be equally distributed and acknowledge and the problem comes in when it is not shown.
So...what happened next. Good God, guy...you can't leave it like that.
hello is this thing on?
post already!!!!
Post a Comment