Tuesday, February 27

Ummm...okay!

1. A black guy, and his pal, with a big toothy grin pulled me aside yesterday to ask me my name. I say, "Shawn." He turns to his pal "he sure looks like him, don't he?" "Look like who?" I ask. "Like Ro.dne.y Allen Ri.ppy."

2. The exchange I had with a 20ish, hispanic cashier at the drive thru window at Carl's Jr.:

Her: (big smile) does your hair grow like that naturally?
Me: Um, what do you mean?
Her: you know, its like really curly. Is that how it grows? Or, did you do something to get it to look like that?

I turn my head to look her in the eye to make sure she's not joking and when I realize she isn't -

Me:
These aren't curls. These are dreadlocks.
Her: Oh! I didn't know.

3. Ever been so offended that you wanted to cuss somebody out but you couldn't find your words because you're sorta in shock that the person just offended you? Well, that was me yesterday. Y'all know I rarely pass up an opportunity to 'turn this motha out' but this next one had me shaking my head in astonished disbelief for a minute.

As you know, its tax season, so yesterday I dropped off my docs at my acct's office. This is the exchange I had with one of his assistants/secretaries as I am preparing to leave his office.

I've just finished talking to my acct. and now need my parking ticket validated. I walk over to secretary's desk.

Me: (smile) Hey, can you file this doc in my folder?

She looks confused but doesn't say a word as she examines the doc. I'm staring at her trying to get a read on whether or not she's clear on what I need her to do.

Her: don't you...need a copy of this?
Me: No, this is my copy. I want it filed in my folder you guys hold for me here.

She still looks a bit lost.

Me: That's not a problem? We're clear, right?

She nods in agreement. I then pull out my parking ticket

Me: Also, can you validate this?

The other assistant grabs my parking ticket takes it to her desk to stamp.

Me: And last thing, can you call me when my returns are done instead of sending me the postcard notice?

Damn near before I can even finish asking my question she says -

Her: (said with a very serious, no nonsense face) NO! I certainly will not

Immediately my back stiffens, eyes widen and eyebrows raise. I stare at her in total disbelief. I start thinking this is building into a joke. By now, the 2nd assistant has returned to 1st assistant's desk with my validated parking ticket. I now turn to look at her to see if this is some sorta joke they play on all the clients. The 2nd assistant is smiling warmly at me but not in a way that indicates this is one big funny. I wait a beat longer before --

Her: You'll just have to call the office

Me: (directed at 1st asst.) Um...are you serious? (I turn to 2nd asst) is she joking?

My blood is starting to boil and my body is beginning to get a little twitchy from anger.

Her: (pointing down at her desktop) We are really busy. Do you see all this work on my desk? I am not going to call you, you'll have to call us.

I know I'm on the brink of exploding and turning the MOTHA out. I look at her like she's the damn fool that she is, then I turn to look at the 2nd asst again. My acct emerges from his office and breezes by, heading out of the door. I turn to look at fool asst one mo' gin

Me: Woooowww!

I shake my head in disbelief and storm out of the office before I reach the point of no return. I guess my exit must've been pretty loud. My acct stops in his tracks, turns to see me and says -

Him: Hey, Shawn, what's goin' on?
Me: Well, I just asked your asst if she could give me a call when my return was completed and she told me (impression of her) "No. Do you see how busy we are? You'll have to call us."
Him: (shaking his head) We'll call you...don't worry.
Me: Thanks!

And if you're wondering, my acct and his staff are not black.

12 comments:

Fresh said...

U R Trouble my friend. LOL and I used to LOVE me some rodney allen rippy! That was my boy!

kathi said...

That's flat out crazy. I've never heard of anyone mailing out a notice instead of calling. Most people are wanting to know asap. Takes a lot less time to call you than to send out a post card or to stop everything they're doing to check on your return everytime you call. Imagine how many people must be calling to check on their returns. Crazy.

kathi said...

Oh, and I don't Rodney Allen Rippy is. I looked him up on IMDb, but still don't know him.

chele said...

I was laughing up until you got to the asst. What an idiot.

Shawn said...

Berry I am NOT the problem. ;-) Don't put that on me woman.

Berry and Rodney sitting in a tree...

Kathi Yea..most ppl do want to know ASAP. You know ppl lose perspective sometimes when they perform a job that gets pretty hectic. Still, her attitude was stank.

Chele I concur

Quel said...

"And if you're wondering, my acct and his staff are not black."

I knew before I read these words.

That's jacked up.

SP said...

You are telling me that a 20ish woman had never encounted dreadlocks before??? Oh no!

I can't believe she said no like that. I wonder how many other people just put up with her attitude...

ShellyP said...

Gee, that is messed up. Esp. that last one.

Shai said...

Shawn, you are funny. I have to say that a white man thought he was being hip when he said, "Girlfriend is that a weave?" at my place of employment. LOL. He asked do take down my microbraids every night and braid them back in the morning. LOL. WTH!

Shai AKA Sasha Li(on myspace), check out my Essence debut (March 2007, pg. 189, Detrimental, LOL) and blogspot

Rose said...

Thanks for the laugh- needed it. That assistant should have a butt tapped. She could be out of a job if folks pulled their business.

princessdominique said...

Just stopping through to wish you well...

CreoleInDC said...

Mailing out a notice instead of calling. Shaking my head. *sigh*

You handled that much better than I would have. I gave up cussing folks our for Lent...but I have an on going list of people to come back to that she would been been added to. Humph.

HEY! NICE TO MEET YA! Found you by way of chele!