Wednesday, October 19

I've Always Wanted...

...to play the guitar Sterling, my Godson, tells me over the phone after asking me to buy him a guitar for music lessons being offered at his school.

Why is this the first I am hearing about this?

I don't know. I've wanted to play since I was 5...no no 6. Yea...at first I wanted to play drums but now I want to play guitar.

Is that right?

Yea...so can you buy me one before Thursday?

Before Thursday? What? Why Sterling?

Music class is on Thursday and I already missed one class.

Why didn't you tell me you wanted a guitar sooner? Your birthday just passed. The guitar coulda been your birthday present.

Mmm...I don't know. Uncky Shawn, if you buy me a guitar I want a blue one or a green one.

Oh my god! Where's your mom?

Right here!

Ok. Put her on the phone.

His mom giggles as she answers the phone Hello!

Albra, music lessons? Oh lord. Why are y'all calling me at the least minute. You know I hate that.

They just sent the flyer home on Tuesday or Wednesday.


Sterling can be heard in the background screaming Tell Uncky Shawn I need to go with him to pick it up.

That boy is crazy Albra!

That's your Godson.


I agreed to buy Sterling his guitar. However, I wasn't the happiest about the situation. I hate feeling pressured to buy something hurriedly I am unfamiliar with without having the time to research the item. I don't like looking or sounding like I have "sucker" written on my forehand when I deal with salespersons. And I like to look for deals and discounts whenever possible.

On Wednesday I go to Sterling's house to pick him up for our guitar expedition. Before we leave, I make Sterling agree to sign a contract which stipulates that he'll practice his guitar X number of days for X minutes a day a week or the guitar will be repossessed. He was a little put off for a minute but he agreed.

The first store we went into he was bouncing off the wall pointing and touching dang near every guitar. He saw a blue guitar (I had already explained to him blue was out of the question because most acoustic guitars are pine colored and that's the one he needed to use to learn how to play) and really got happy. Oooo Oooo a blue one Uncky Shawn. The blue guitar was an acoustic guitar so I looked at the price tag. $379. Umm...Sterling. This one cost too much. Sorry! No blue one. He quickly decided on another guitar that the salesman was talking up. But I wanted to feel like I was bargain shopping and didn't want to buy the first thing I saw so I told the salesman thanks and let him know we'd be back if we didn't find anything else with a better price.

As we were walking around the corner and down the street opposite of where we had parked Sterling dejectedly quizzed Where are we going now Uncky Shawn? To this guitar store right here Sterling I replied. The pep in his step picked up then.

Sterling got really starry eyed when he saw all the guitars inside The Guitar Center. Quickly a sales associate latched on to us and went about his business of highlighting the pros of buying the guitar he recommended that best fit my price range. After a little hemming and hawing I told him we'd take it. Suspiciously, Sterling was very quiet throughout most of my exchange with this sales associate; so much so I had to ask him if he really wanted the guitar. A resounding yes was his reply.

Sterling decided that he had to carry his own guitar to the car. I really wish I had a picture. Using both hands he awkwardly carried the guitar on one side of his body while all his weight was leaning the opposite way. I could tell it was really heavy for him. I asked him if he wanted me to carry it but he refused my help. He then enthusiastically talked about his guitar. I have everything huh Uncky Shawn? I have a case. I have a DVD to watch to learn how to play. I have new strings. Yep, you sure do Sterling I replied.

No sooner than we'd walked in the door of his house Sterling had opened the box and taken everything out. He made a beeline to his room with his guitar and DVD in tow. He emerged a few minutes later to retrieve a sheet of paper and pencil so he could take notes. When the time came for him to sign his contract he came out of his room to show everyone what he had learned.




I guess a star is born. This kid is too much for the people.

By contract Sterling has agreed to practice 5 days a week for a minimun of 15 minutes per session. If not, the guitar will be repossessed by me.

We'll see how this goes.

5 comments:

Dubbed As Trent Jackson said...

That is so hot!

WOW...I am really happy for him. I know that you already know that you've made such a difference in his life by buying that guitar...he'll remember it forever...

I remember my first instrument...the Sax, aww....

YAY Shawn, the Negro Hero!

Awww...thats so cute...AWW. I want an Unky Shawn.

B.E.G said...

You are such a good Godfather! That was very sweet and he is such a cutie!

kathi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kathi said...

You are amazing, and I don't say that lightly. Truly. This kid is so lucky to have you. You also showed great instinct to make him sign the contract.
My son always buys his guitars at Guitar Center. I don't know if they told you this, but they have a policy to always replace the guitar if you have any problem with it. Charlie (my son) has taken advantage of this twice, and they are always happy to accomodate him.
You are a good guy.

Shawn said...

Thanks Trent, beg & kathi

Hey kathi thanks for the information about guitar center. For an add'l $20 I bought an extended 2 year warranty where they'll replace the guitar if there's any damage to the frame.