Thursday, November 10

Civil Liberties 3

Awhile ago I found this documentary Unconstitutional: The War On Our Civil Liberties. If you haven't seen it, please take some time to watch. The vid is just over an hour long. I've chopped it into to 3 parts. I'm going to post this vid on the blog for one or two days. Be warned: this is a documentary about the Bush Admnistration and his push to pass the Patriot Act.
UPDATED Nov 14th - I hope some of you had the time and patience to watch the film over the weekend. If you missed it, here are excerpts from the official website about the film:

Here, you'll get the real story behind the USA PATRIOT Act and other administration policies and the gut wrenching stories behind those affected

We created Unconstitutional to show Americans the extent to which our civil liberties and our freedoms have been trampled upon by our government since 9/11

The Patriot Act, which was passed just 45 days after September 11 with virtually no debate, is being met with a significant grassroots groundswell from across the political spectrum.

Unconstitutional aims to reveal how paranoia, fear and racial profiling have led to gross infringements on freedom and democracy without strengthening national security

read more here

From Amazon.com:
Completing a trilogy that should be required viewing for all Americans, Unconstitutional explicitly reveals how the USA Patriot Act violates numerous civil liberties guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. Following the equally persuasive documentaries Unprecedented: The 2000 Presidential Election and Uncovered: The Whole Truth About the Iraq War, this film presents powerful and tragic examples of how the USA Patriot Act--passed with virtually no Congressional debate just 45 days after the terrorist attacks of 9/11/01--has been used to justify the unconstitutional arrest of innocent immigrants based on Arab stereotyping; the illegal detention of vaguely defined "suspects" and their improper treatment (including beatings and torture) during extended confinement; prisoner abuse of alleged terrorism suspects in Guantanamo Bay military prison; the allowance of improper search and seizure without due cause; prohibited travel based on racial profiling; bully tactics employed with impunity by local police in efforts to undermine free speech; and other clear indications of the Patriot Act's unconstitutional enforcement. The more personal these stories of violation are, the more gut-wrenching is the realization that U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft--and by extension, the George W. Bush administration--have used the Patriot Act to justify what is essentially a dictatorial police state.
keep reading

5 comments:

kathi said...

Hey babe, just wanted to stop by and say 'hey'. I'm dead tired but want to get to your 3 videos asap. Hope youre having a great day, be back soon.

Rose said...

I'll have to revisit this blog.; My speakers are not working..

Stone said...

Yet again we as a nation have been rocked to sleep with lies and fears. the end our rights being taken away for us. thanks for a wake up call. we should not let fear makes as a pawn for the higher ups. I feel sicken by this very sick

Tasha Who? said...

CRAP... I was so caught up in the fact that I had cable and internet again, I was all over the place on TV... except for that.

Waddie G. said...

All I can say is that I am really nervous about the future of America, especially under Republican rule.