I just don't understand why people persist on using the internet to prey on people. I believe most internet users know by now not to fall for this internet scam but I thought I'd post the following doc anyway just remind us all to be careful.
A buddy of mine received this email a few days ago with the subject line: Hello (my buddy's) Surname
Good day,
My name is Mr.Benjamin Douke, a banker and accountant with an International bank here in Abidjan Cote d'Ivoire. I am the personal accounts manager to Engr. John (my buddy's) Surname, a nationale of your country, who used to work with an oil servicing company here in Cote d'Ivoire.
My client, his wife, and their three children were involved in the ill fated Kenya Airways crash in the coasts of Abidjan in January 2000 in which all passengers on board died. Since then I have made several inquiries to your embassy to locate any of my clients extended relatives but has been unsuccessful. After several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to trace his last name over the internet, to see if I could locate any member of his family hence I contacted you.
Of particular interest is this huge deposit with our bank, where the deceased has an account valued at about ($16 million US dollars).They have issued me a notice to provide the next of kin or the bank will declare the account unservisable and thereby send the funds to the bank treasury. Since I have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for the last 3 years now, I will seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased since you have the same last names, so that the proceeds of this account valued at ($16million US dollars) can be paid to you and then you and I can share the money.
All I require is your honest cooperation to enable us see this deal through. I guarantee that this will be executed under all legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law. If you can handle this with me, include in your reply mail your full name, complete address date of birth as well as telephone and fax number.
Thanking you for your anticipated cooperation.
Benjamin Douke.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I see several of these a week in my junk mail box. I've never known anyone who has actually fallen for this, though, have you?
I don't know anyone personally that was fallen for it but I read an article recently that listed this type scam as one of the top 5 internet scams that people have been burned by.
Believe it or not there are people who do fall for it (they never heard of the Nigerian scam) and some of them are really smooth from what I understand. They have different methods of doing it from pretty girls who are American models in Africa who just need to cash their check to the one you just posted. Anyway, hope you enjoy that chili recipe...I also have a minestrone soup recipe in my Oct. archives that you might like. Don't forget to soak the beans with a pinch of baking soda to keep from blowing up the spot! LOL! ;-) Bon Appetit
I still can't get over the fact that people still fall for that madness... if it's not addressed to me directly, and I don't know them even quasi-personally, I don't fall for it.
Post a Comment