Friday, November 4

Writer's Block

AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!! I have writer's block. No! No! No! It's really irritating me.

A friend of mine has asked me to write a few songs with her and I just can't pull anything out of myself. The writing sessions are a few days off so I have some time to sharpen my skills. However, I'm not feeling so sure the block will be gone anytime soon.

My head is tongue tied. For the past few days I've been doing my usual songwriting exercises. I play around with the melodies in head in effort to construct A) a hook(chorus) or B)a verse. Well, try as I may, I have yet to complete one hook or verse. I just don't know what's going on. I'm a little befuddled. During the creative process I start off well. My head and ears fill with all kinds of possibilities but I never string anything together.

I really, really, really need to pull this together. I hate making a fool of myself. I don't want to sit around like dead weight in the studio. I guess the good thing is if I can't write any lyrics or create any good melodies I can make myself useful in other ways. I know I'll have ideas for background vocal arrangment and ideas for the bridge. I should be able to fake my way through the writer's block in the studio. But God forbid they ask me to write the hook for the song....*gasp* yikes! That could be painful. We'll see how it goes.

4 comments:

Hassan said...

For me...

When I was helping out a friend with his music I would simply walk around the house with everything quiet paying attention to sounds and then with onde sound source on (tv, radio, what have you...) listen to it throughout the house with distortion... playing with the sounds always gave me ideas.. and still does occasionally.

For lyrics, I would always just read and watch emotionally charged media. Read a good book or watch something like the pianist.. as situations come up I would actually mimic how I would look in that situation which would somehow bring me in touch with the scene itself... grasping the fullness of that emotion it's a short distance from soul to paper.

lol I know that's a lot but that's what I used to do... when I embraced my more creative side. Sometimes it works.. sometimes.. it's just not there.

kathi said...

I love to write too, poems, short stories and a few songs. I'm just the opposite as hassan. I go outside, sit in my swing or my bench and just close my eyes and think about things that are bothering me or affecting me. (yeah, think of what kind of song I could have written today, lol). Going for a drive in the country helps too, sometimes I have to stop and take pictures, then sit and write.
I think you're gonna do fine, you're putting too much pressure on yourself. You know, when pressure builds, it blows up. Relax, reflect on what's made you laugh AND what's made you cry recently. You'll get that stir in your belly. I have faith in you.

Dubbed As Trent Jackson said...

Oh thats why you were all up in my ear, when I told you about my CD that I am coming out with. You are gonna pen me some songs! No runs tho! Strictly singing, none of that other stuff.

Stacy-Deanne said...

Well, being a writer I feel you. Luckily for me I haven't experienced a long bout of writer's block but I can tell you that you need to take a break from the project. If your mind is jumbled it's only going to get worse if you try to force the ideas. Writers Block is a way of our bodies tell us it's tired and our minds asking us to take a break. Don't worry, all you may need is a few days and watch those ideas or your imagination run wild weather you're writing a song or whatever. Writer's block is usually just our minds telling us we need a little break. You're probably on overload. It'll come back to you.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you aren't mad at me for talking about your hair on your post, LOL! Anyway, please comment under my celebrity look-a-like post if you get the chance.