Thursday, November 17

Writing Session pt 2

kathi-hassan-lampchop I'll probably forget to tell you about the project later. A friend (the singer) is working on her gospel album. Her plans are to a) complete a few songs then shop herself a deal or b) complete the album and release it independently. There's supposed to be a live portion (to be record early next year) and a studio portion. The song I co-wrote is one of the studio songs. I don't know when the album will come out. We'll see what happens.

I don't know if I'll be sharing the finished product of the song. I was none too pleased with the direction of the song once the vocals started being laid. The producer had his idea of what the song was 'supposed' to sound like. I tried to make a suggestion during the session that the producer dismissed before I could finish my thought by saying "you're getting ahead of me." I figured the tug-o-war wasn't worth my energy so I kept my suggestions to myself after that exchange. Needless to say I didn't feel a need to return for the final vocal session so I have no idea what the finished product sounds like. I'll post a snippet if I like what I hear.

I am co-writing another song with my friend that she's going to record after Thanksgiving. I'll post some of the lyrics later.

3 comments:

kathi said...

I love that you're writing! I think you're so talented and such an honest style of writing that people really relate to. I'm backing you in any and every thing you want to do. I'm really looking forward to reading/hearing what you write, co-write, whatever. Happy for you, but I'm sure you know that.

Unknown said...

Shawn, I think that's the problem with collaboration in the creative process. My cousin is a music producer, and I don't know how he deals with it. Everyone's vision is slightly different, and it's hard to deal with. Just hang in there. I guess the goal is to become successful enough with each endeavor that you eventually get to control your work.

Shawn said...

sabledawn- I actually love collaborating. I feel like I'm pushed to create better things when others are present giving me an instant 'yay' or 'nay.' But the process demands that all parties listen to one another and compromise when necessary.