I absolutely love yams but I never take the time to prepare them unless it's a major holiday. There's something about all the peeling and chopping that puts me in a bad mood. Anyhoo, I decided to be adventurous on the holiday and cook something new using yams that I'd never prepared before. My original intention was to make a batch of Sweet Potato Cookies. But the more I thought about how tedious measuring, mixing, batter sampling, baking, waiting then cookie sampling is I decided against making the cookies. I regrouped after a brief chat with a friend and we decided I should make a cheesecake using the yams. Thus, I concocted the following dessert - Sweet Potato Swirl Cheesecake.

Man, it was good. My basic recipe was swirling regular cheesecake batter together with sweet potato flavored batter then adding a swirl of caramelized pecans. Mm mm mmm! It was so good.

I know pictures can't capture the delicious flavor but take my word for it was good. In fact, I am thinking about selling dem joints during the Christmas holiday season.

11 comments:
That sounds good but what about good old fashioned sweet potato pone? Basically the left over batter from sweet pototo pies without the crust. My aunt (a semi-vegetarian) fixed me sweet potatos baked in the over with just a little bit of butter. Talk about some good eating! I'd never had them like that before. The reality is that Sweet pototos taste yummy without doing anything to them! I never knew that. You can also bake them in the microwave. She served them with salad and baked fish. Talk about a healthy meal.
FYI~ here is a recipe for pone:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/sweetpotatodess/r/bl1109a.htm
Shawn, I've not read this post yet, fixin to, but I finally watched the segment you suggested on Clay's blog of Tucker Carlson and Vernon Bellecourt. I can't tell you how much I wanted to reach out and slap Carlson. What a complete idiot. Thanks for the link.
Okay, give up the recipe and...what's the blue stuff in the pic?
Gotta love a man that cooks...oh wait...I do. LOL.
Looks good, the pie that is and the fact that its almost gone says alot!
Tis the season ... I also tried a new sweet potato recipie this year -- sweet potato crisp with apples, cranberries and pecans--it didn't go over that well though--which is why I always have good ol' sweet potato pies as a backup.
Berry - I've had sweet potato pone by accident. My cousin made too much pie batter one year and I was determined not to let it waste. I had no idea it was an actual dish. Yams are really prepared in a variety of ways. Thanks for the recipe. You must a food addict Berry like myself. :-)
Kathi - if I give up my secret recipe, how can I sell my pies? LOL! Hey, I thought you didn't like to cook? The blue stuff, if we are referring to the same thing, is just a reflection of the sun against the metallic pie tin.
PrincessD - the fact that's it almost gone speaks to how greedy I am. I ate most of the pie myself.
Chele - sweet potato crisp...hmm...cranberries in a baked dish don't sound too appetizing. I hate when my baking/cooking experiments go awry. Better luck next time.
Don't be such a smartass and just send me the recipe.
For the past couple of years I have made homemade Pralines for New Years/Kwanzaa and people keep telling me I should sell them. Too much work! I'd rather make it a once a year venture and have them savor the flavor for the next 11 months. LOL!
Hey. If you aren't going to send us free samples, how are we going to spread the word? Sweet potatoes and pecans? I must be in heaven.
Oh and now I finally know what pone is. I always wondered. We never had leftover batter, so no wonder I didn't know.
kathi - smartass, moi?
berry - you betta sell dem joints and stop playing. At least, consider making a seasonal item you sell from Mid Nov to Early Jan. Hey maybe you can you package the pralines in a basket.
sabledawn - samples? that's not a bad idea. I had planned on making small individual sized cheesecakes.
Post a Comment