Thursday, December 1

Animation Audition

Yesterday I had the pleasure of auditioning for a new Nickelodeon animation short called Not So Fantastics. I don't know anything more about the project than it's title so don't bother asking, I probably won't have an answer for you. Before my audition was recorded by my agent, I didn't have a clear idea of what type of voice I wanted to create to match the character description. With my agent's guidance, I think we pulled something together that was fitting for the character. My agent enjoyed my read so much I thought it'd be fun to get a copy of the audition and let you guys to take a listen.

Here's a copy of the character description and dialogue to look over and the audio file of the audition.




HOPS: Very much the little brother of THE NOT-SO FANTASTICS, HOPS is simple-minded, impossibly humungous, and probably didn’t finish this sentence (i.e. short attention span).

1. HOPS desires a certain morsel of crumbly goodness.
HOPS
(Sniffing)
Smells like… cookies. Chocolate chunk…
with little bits of peanut butter… and vanilla fudge.


2. HOPS, speaking, after a particularly long stint of silence.

HOPS
(Like, duh)
What about the Liberty Tower?


3. HOPS launches into a fit of uncontrollable hopping, toppling the Richter Scale.

HOPS
(Various hyper screams, yells)

4. HOPS in a rare moment a strategic bliss:

HOPS
(To his teammates)
What if we used that giant pile of dynamite over there
to destroy…
(Dreamy daze)
carrots? I smell chocolate mint chip carrots with
double fudge. Soft-boiled. Heaven. In my mouth.
(Yum)
HOPS - Not So Fantastics Audition

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Shawn, that's interesting, because it's not at all the voice I imagined (don't know what I imagined). However, when I heard the reading, I liked the voice better than whatever was in my head. Good luck with the project.

kathi said...

So, that's your voice? I'm like Sable, it's not at all like I imagined and I liked it much better too. If that's you, you've got a very deep, rich voice...nice.

You added real life to the script, very cool. I'm really proud of you. Can you let us hear more??

Fresh said...

Great...if you don't nail it with that, they are crazy! :-)

Shawn said...

sabledawn - glad you liked.

kathi - yep, that's me. Of course that's not my natural speaking voice.

Unfortunately, there's nothing else to share. I never request that my agent email me copies of my auditions because it's a nuisance and time consuming for her. I wanted to have this particular audition on file for future reference when I have to get ready for other animation auditions.

berry - lol! My agent had that exact same sentiment. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Dubbed As Trent Jackson said...

BOY! YOU ARE TOO FUNNY! WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A VOICE OVER JOB AGAIN?

It's so funny, cause I had no idea you could do all of that with your voice...wow.

LOL.

DO peaches

Shawn said...

Trent - I don't know why I don't have a VO job myself. Glad you liked...

I don't 'do' Peaches...for free that is. LOL!