So, today I received an mp3 of the song I mentioned in The Writing Session. It's a rough mix. As I mentioned in The Writing Session 2, "I was none too pleased with the direction of the song once the vocals started being laid. The producer had his idea of what the song was 'supposed' to sound like." After hearing the song with lead and backing vocals I stand by that assertion. I think the song is cool but could have been so much more. Vocal production can make or break a song therefore, one should never rush through the process. At this point, there's nothing I can do about it. The song is what it is. It was fun to exercise my creativity. I am thankful I was given the opportunity to play around. Here's a snippet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I think it's good. You did a nice job. It's really up to the singer to put her foot down with the producer since its she is the one putting herself on the line. The question is, is she happy with it? I hope she gets a deal and I can't wait to see what you do next.
sp - thanks, that's nice of you to say.
the singer is not happy. her discussions with the producer seemed to go in one ear and out of the other in regards to her original vision. time was of the essence (she was in town for 2 days and needed to write and record the song in that period) and every minute fighting was a minute wasted from recording. she chose to let him be the ring leader, hoping he would pull everything together for the final product.
I like the song, and it does sound good. However, I do agree there is a lot of untapped potential there. I just seems with those lyrics there should have more of a musical base for the singer to work with.
I'm thinking something like Mariah Carey's "When you believe." Still, though, it is good work. It's hard to focus on what is and not what could be.
Aw, I wanted to hear the hook. Darn.
sabledawn - thank you sir...I could talk all day and night about should have been done differently with the song
berry - hahaha! I so hate vocal production on the hook but I may let you hear
Post a Comment