Well, I did something this weekend I usually don't do. I ventured out to see a flick during its opening weekend. Frown. I am sorta wishing I hadn't. Don't ask me why but I really felt compelled to check out Pride. Sigh! I was so disappointed people. To my surprise the film was lackluster. The performances were good but the story was rather cookie cutter and formulaic; so much so, that it detracted from the film. I really felt like I was watching a tv movie rather than a feature film. I was thinking, why am I having to pay to see this? This shoulda been on cable. Character development was nearly nonexistent and the predictability factor was terribly highly. Sigh! Folks! This is a renter. I wouldn't rush out to see this flick.
Yesterday, I also got an opportunity to watch HBO's made for cable movie Life Support. I really enjoyed it. Smile! Wende.ll Pi.e.rce, Queen and the young actress that played her older daughter really turned in strong performances. The only draw back is the film's pacing is rather slow. If that's not a hang up of yours I'd say check it out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Aww man. Well, you supported it. Your review is pretty in line with every other review but then again perhaps it had to be formula in order for it to be green lit. Everyone who has seen the HBO special has liked it too...even when they weren't fans of Q.L.
Berry I don't know if the producers were forced to water down the material to get it green lit but I really had much higher hopes for the story.
Bernie Hopefully Pride pulled in a decent box office number.
Yea, LS was predictable but with a tv movie I expect that. I was just happy they didn't try to do too much with it. It was a simple story they wanted to tell and they didn't over dramatize it.
Dangit. I'm going see it this coming weekend with a girlfriend. Is it something we should go see just in hopes that the money it makes will help more positive RELATEABLE movies with black people in em? How was Bernie Mac?
Queen Latifah's movie was slow and depressing to me.
*waving* HEY SHAWN!
I agree completely with you about LS, but I've not seen Pride yet.
Creole I'm pretty critical, granted, but I really don't think I am being too hard on this film. The film is mediocre. Sure, go 'head and support it for the reason you mentioned.
I thought Bernie Mac turned in a good performance. In truth, I thought all the performances were solid save one of the kids. His performance/character was a tad forced. I attributed that to the poor development of the characters and the lack of separation between the young male roles. Because the film was formulaic it seems the writers relied heavily on the use of archetypes for their characterizations. Please, let me know you think after you see it.
Why did LS depress you?
Kathi Remember, Pride is a renter. Wait for video or hit a matinee.
now see I thought Life Support was blah...like it lacked something. Great story and all but just lacking in some way.
This must be the day for bad movie reviews. I just did one too.
well, nothing about the PRIDE previews made me want to see it, but perhaps i'll rent it. i am a huge fan og Queen so i saw that the first night. and yeah it was kinda slow and i wanted the amare plot to unfold a liitle more, but whatevs! anyhoo, since thou taggeth me...i'ma post in your spot, since you know i relocated (LOL)
I've been tagged!
What main lesson have you learned in the month of February?
BE ANGRY AND SIN NOT
What bad habit do you want to rid yourself of this month?
WRITING PEOPLE OFF COMPLETELY AFTER ONLY 1 CHANCE
What are your favorite muses?
GREAT SONGS
Name one thing UNIQUELY DIFFERENT that you recently discovered about yourself?
I CAN DO A LOT IN 20 HOURS A DAY WITH NO SLEEP
What is your definition of passion vs intimacy?
NOT GONNA EVEN TRY TO SOUND GOOD, PASSION GOES WITH LUST AND HOTNESS, INTIMACY GOES WITH CLOSENESS AND CONNECTING
What are you vibing too?
MUSIQ, ERIC ROBERSON, KIM BURRELL
What are your favorite gadgets?
DIGI CAMERA
CAMCORDER
What would be a perfect date with the person you're thinking of right now...
ANY TROPICAL PLACE WITH LOTS OF DRINKS, SUNTAN OIL AND QUIETNESS
Last book read?
THE DANCE OF INTIMACY
What would you re-name it based upon your perception of the storyline?
NO
How many times a day do you look at your blog or the blogs of others?
ALL DAY, I LOVE READING BLOGS!
Who's your favorite blogger or spot you find lurking around most often?
THIS DUDE NAMED SHAWN, AND LOTS OF GOSSIP BLOGS
If you were to live as the opposite sex for the day what name would you give yourself?
AHMIR
Describe yourself in 3 adjectives?
CREATIVE, FABULOUS, TEMPERAMENTAL
One goal you set for yourself for the month of March?
GET MORE EXERCISE!
Aww, that's sad to hear. I was thinking of going to see it on Wednesday.
Mwabi It was a bit dry.
Mrs A I expected the Amare plot to unfold more, as well. Hehehe! I kinda expected you to post your tag on your myspace blog. ;-)
Did you say 20hours? As in, you only average 4 hours of sleep? Regularly? Phew! I couldn't do it. I have to have 6 a night.
You're both crazy (Shawn and Mrs A) gimme 8 hours of sleep every night!
Post a Comment