Disney to feature black princess in new 'toon The Frog Pr.in.cess
excerpt from Variety ~
"Toon was previously known to be in development (Daily Variety, July 26), but this was the first time Disney discussed the project publicly. Pic will be set in New Orleans and tell the story of a young girl named Maddy, whom Disney described as "the newest Disney princess." She'll be the first African-American in the Mouse's lucrative princess line."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Bernie Yea, that did cross my mind. My first thought however was finally Disney is gonna to cater to black folks - especially young black girls.
A girlfriend and I discussed this last week. She was excited. Me...not so much. In fact...it pissed me off.
Disney was started in 1923. Most of the cartoons were of the era, of course, and depicted blacks in a VERY unflattering way as they did a whole lot of other ethnicities. No one ever said they saw the error of their ways. EVER. And it takes them until 2007 to have a storyline depicting a black princess? Dude...that's like 84 years. Say they didn't come around till maybe even the late 60's like most other companies did in their quest to be politically correct...that STILL MAKES IT 38 YEARS TOO LATE!
I'm sorry...but this annoyed me more than anything. MORE THAN ANYTHING!
A black Princess huh? I got news for you Disney folk...there are already PLENTY of us.
HUMPH!
(CreoleInDC stalking off mad all over again.)
creoleindc Very valid points. I thinks its long overdue, if not, perhaps too little too late. However, there are some young black girls out there this film will touch. For them this is good to see. I mean, its not like our ppl took the time and effort to produce a black fairy tale featuring a black princess.
How many people do you consider "our" people do you believe the big boys like Disney have given a CHANCE to make movies with a black Princess? I know for a fact that there have been pitches that didn't succeed because it was perceived they wouldn't sell. Sorry...you're not going to sell me on this one. I feel like Disney had an opportunity for 38 YEARS they let fall by the waist side.
Do I hope the video sells? Yes! Why? Because it means more will be made like it. I will DEFINITELY buy one to further the possibiity BUT...I'm still pissed about it.
Hey...what can I say...I'm Creole. We hot headed. :)
Yeh I just blogged about this over at Highbrid Nation, check it out if you get a chance. Anyway, it really is about time Disney gave little girls a black princess to look up to. Its long overdue. I also think its great that the film will take place in New Orleans. I'll definately have to take my neice to the Frog Princess.
Post a Comment