Sunday, August 20

I Can't Hear You

Why is that the phone never rings when you're engaged in one those irritating phone conversations where you find yourself close to unleashing a verbal assualt on the person on the other end of the call? Yesterday I found myself involved in a very peculiar chat with a caller (someone from the recent past) that was trying desperately to interpret my every statement. That in itself isn't so bad. I myself analyze people by their words, thoughts and deeds. However, I never make my analysis the focal point of conversation. In fact, if I'm sizing you up, you'll never know.

If it's one (of many) things that bothers me, its for anyone to think they can understand the complexity of me in ONE conversation. Are you serious? Do you really think I'm that simple? Not a chance. There may be a recurrent theme in the way I think but trust and believe that small window I've allowed you access will never reveal the whole story.

Personally, I think it's quite silly to assume that you categorize me or that you think you're doing me a favor by sharing with me what category of people I fit into. Ha! What a lark. As if I don't know myself. I'm silly with one, serious as a heart attack with another, a confidant to some and distant to a few. But I don't see how you would you know that? The very thing you perceive me to be is nothing more than a facade, a plastic shell that is easily discardable.

You can keep your personal insights and observations for someone who cares to hear what you have to say. I don't respect your opinion. Your observations are in fact opinion because you've never seen me - it's never been shown to you.

7 comments:

Leepak Hope-ra said...

STFU? No idea what that might mean. Uh...ok...this may sound silly, but...what does it mean? I'm new to the blog...is that some sort of blogging lingo?

kathi said...

I agree 100% with this, and I'm going through the same thing right now with some soon to be ex in-laws. They seem to know exactly what I should be feeling and even what I should and shouldn't be saying to my own kids. I just listen and occasionally say 'uh huh'...till they get bored of talking or realize I'm not involved in the onesided conversation. Thank God for caller I.D. Gonna start using it a LOT more often.

Shawn said...

leepak - asked and answered on your blog

kathi - what do YOU need caller ID for? you don't like answering phone anyway. ;-)

See, that's why you need one of my shirts. LOL! Perhaps you can send one to them as a gift. I think it'd be hilarious.

Leepak Hope-ra said...

@Shawn re: To Answer Your Question...
Thanks for clearing that up!

kathi said...

You're such a smart ass. Correct, but still a smart ass, lol. Love ya.

chele said...

I know what you mean. I sometimes think about the conversation(s) that will take place at my funeral. Many different people with different opinions about who I was ... no one really knows.

Rose said...

I change like the wind...people don't know me really....I am complex..