Monday, August 28

I Was Sposed To

do an audio blog this weekend. Y'all know how I 'be' slacking on the audio. I'm just too lazy sometimes to pull out the microphone. It was a brief encounter I wanted to share so I'll just type it out.

So last week I'm heading into Albertson's Market when a homeless guy stops me asking for change. The homeless guy is white; 37-42; grungy looking; chubby; curly, dirty blond hair; a gummy smile with little, yellow teeth; and he is sitting indian style next to his greasy dog.

HG: Eh, bro can you spare some change? (he calls out to me)

I stop in the doorway. I turn to look at him. I pat my pockets for change then I pull out my wallet to retrieve a dollar. I walk over to where he's seated.

Me: here you go.

He takes the dollar bill from me

HG: thanks.

He smiles really big displaying more gums than teeth

Me: No problem

I turn to walk into the market

HG: Football season starts in a few weeks right?

I turn to look at him again

Me: Uhh...yea. Actually it does

HG: Who you got?

Me: You know, I haven't really decided yet.

I turn away from him again to enter the store. HG calls out to me

HG: NIGGA please!!!!!!

I stop in my tracks immediately and turn to look at him with one of the scrutinizing "no you didn't" stares. But HG is still smiling that gummy smile of his. I think for a second to say something about his apparent lack of manners then I think to myself "that's the least of his worries," so I shake my head holding back a small smile and walk in to the market.

5 comments:

Rose said...

Some things are just not worth addressing and this was certainly one of them.

SP said...

YOU didn't say anything?? I guess you are right, he has bigger problems.

Shawn said...

Rose - exactly

SP - nope I didn't say a word

kathi said...

The guy should be more thankful that he caught you on a good (let it slide) day than he should be for the money. :)

chele said...

**shaking my head**