Monday, September 4

Triflin Is As Triflin Does

I have safely made it to VA no thanks to Friend. Triflin is as triflin does.

After Spiritual's wedding Friend wanted to go to Georgetown to grab a bite to eat at The Cheesecake Factory. However, she decided she wanted to stop by her house briefly to use to the bathroom and change out of the clothes she wore to the wedding. As you can probably guess once we got inside of the house we never left. As a result did Shawn get to eat dinner? Hell no!

I was planning to hop on the 10:55am amtrak to Richmond Sunday morning so I told Friend my train left at 11am. Sunday morning I take my shower and finish repacking all of my belongings and am ready to walk out of the door at 10:18am. I tell Friend that I'm ready to make that move. She says ok. She grabs her daughter - yummy - and starts combing her hair, etc. We don't live out of the house until 10:40am. On the way to Union Station Friend is harassing me about eating breakfast.

Friend: We have time for you to get some breakfast. You sure you don't want anything?
Me: No thanks. I'll grab a banana or something at the train station if I get hungry. Plus, I have dried pineapple rings with me. I plan to eat when I get to Richmond.
Friend: I won't feel right if I know you're on the train all that time hungy. I'ma stop and buy you some fruit.
Me: Really its ok. I need to get to the station to buy my ticket.
Friend: Oh Shawn the trains are always late on Sunday. I'm going to stop and buy you some stuff, ok?
Me: Fine.

I wait patiently in the car while Friend runs into Sizzlin Express to buy me fruit. My patience quickly wore thin when I realized I stood a good chance of missing my train and I really didn't want to have to wait inside the station until the next train was leaving for Richmond. Friend finally makes her way out the restaurant at 10:49am.

Me: I'ma be late.
Friend: No you're not, I only live five minutes away. The trains are always late on Sundays I tell ya.
Me: Friend I still have to buy my ticket and my train leaves in 5 minutes at 10:55
Friend: 10:55? You told me 11. Why did you tell me 11?
Me: If you had gotten me to station when I asked you to leave it wouldn't have mattered. But thanks for making me late doing it your way as usual.
Friend: I promise you'll make it. We're right here and my car's clock is a little fast.

People! After I get to the station I run inside to the ticket kiosk to buy a ticket. When I realize I don't know what I'm doing I looking pleadingly at the woman manning the baggage drop counter and ask her if she can tell if I've missed the train. She graciously sells me a ticket then sends me on my way to my departure gate. I make the mad dash through terminal to Gate H with my garment bag, carry all suitcase, my small shoulder bag and fruit in tow. It wasn't a pretty sight. Mind you all the while this is happening the attendant is announcing "final call" for my train over the intercom. Just as I make it to the gate the attendant is trying to close the doors. "Have I missed the train?" I say. "Run down to the platform they may not have left yet." I hop skip and jump down the escalator to the platform then sprint to the first train personnel I see. "Can I board here?" He looks at my ticket and tells me to follow the group of 4 people in front of me to the last train car." I breathe a sigh of relief, wipe the sweat from my brow and walking rapidly to catch up to the people ahead of me. I board the train, stow my bags and a minute later we're off.

Too close for my comfort people. Friend has really outdone herself this go 'round. Triflin is as triflin does. I will never let her live this down. But one thing is for sure: payback is a bitch.


My friend in Richmond, VA is having bbq at her mom's house today so I get play some Spades and eat like a king. MM MM MM! I can't wait.

Happy Labor Day Everybody! What are your plans?

PS - FoL2 was magnificient last night. I was stiches in the entire hour. This show needs to win an emmy. I knew that certain somebody would be making a return this season. Next week's ep looks like it has the potential to be another classic.

~Thespian Shawn minus the baggage of Friend out

7 comments:

chele said...

You have the patience of saint. Like you said ... triflin is as triflin does. And that was just triflin. I can't wait to read about the payback!!

African girl, American world said...

boy we here on this post! I CANNOT stand to be inconvenienced by someone else - it kills me!!!

SP said...

I'm so glad you made that train. I didn't want to see you on the news beating friend with your garment bag! LOL!

I hope you ate a lot and kicked butt in spades.

Rose said...

I know you're glad that you made that train...if you hadn't I wouldn't have wanted to be her....
Do as Bernie said-move time up by thirty minutes or so...

Fresh said...

U should have come up here!!!

Shawn said...

bernie - or shoulda just taken a taxi

chele - LOL! The payback hasn't happened yet but I don't ever forget

mwabi - yes we are HERE

SP - Me? Beat someone with a piece of luggage? I would never.

I ate plenty...the butt kicking in Spades never happened

rose - I was mad that I had to run in order to catch the train but I'm glad I didn't miss it.

berry - A day trip to the big apple was too expensive.

kathi said...

Sorry I've been out a bit, catching up. You're staying so busy and having such a good time. I'm so happy for you...