Sunday, September 10

Troublemaker

Friday turned out to be a lot more eventful than I expected. I planned to go to my voice-over audition, grab a bite to eat, meet up with fellow blogger Trent Jackson then make my way home. Never did I imagine that I would asked to leave the premises by the day's end.

Trent and I made plans to meet at 12:45 to accomodate time for my audition and for him to make his 1pm appointment. That never panned out. I thought my 12pm audition woulda been over quickly at my agent's office but for whatever reason they were behind schedule and I didn't end up going into the booth to record my auditioin until 12:40. Trent and I decided to meet after his appointment around 2ish.

I had time to kill after my audition so I stepped into the bookkeeper's office at the agency to ask him a question. Jay had a really worrisome look on his face as he was bent over his desk chatting on the phone in a loud whisper. I could tell immediately by his body language that it was a personal call. He held up his finger to acknowledge me and mouthed "1 minute." I sat down on the sofa in the office and struck up conversation with Jay's office mate Sam. Usually when I step into their office the 3 of us will shoot the breeze for a good 15 minutes discussing all things entertainment...making fun of people...sharing info about tv shows, films, etc. we've watched lately. Like normal Sam and I start up the usual banter. We're laughing and having fun when all of a sudden Jay spins around in his chair and barks "Guys! I'm going through something here. Can you keep it down?" I was startled to say the least and I didn't know whether to take him seriously or not. Jay had a smile on his face as he said keep it down. Sam however quickly made his exit from the office with his eyebrows raised so I quickly figured this was real and not a drill. I, feeling like a chastised child, sat with my hands folded in my lap while Jay finished his conversation.

Yall know I had to ear hustle since I was put on punishment. Apparently, Jay was dealing with relationship drama on company time. How dare he? He and his gf were arguing about the direction of their relationship. Thankfully, 5-10 minutes later he wrapped up the call. I had just pulled out a sheet of paper and was trying to scribble a note when he spun around in his chair to apologize for his outburst earlier. He went on to explain that he and his gf were trying to sort through some issues that were causing a riff in their relationship and needed addressing immediately. He said he couldn't think when Sam and I were chatting. I told him I understood. Then we both laughed at how ghetto and unprofessional his behavior was.

After I handled my business with Jay I decided to drop by my manager's office for a visit. I promised my manager's assistant that I would bring him a slice of that sponge cake from the Red Ribbon Bake Shop I told y'all about 2 weeks ago. He and my manager loved it. If you live near any of their locations, do yourself a favor and pick up a loaf of sponge cake.

You know, I keep running into people that are linked to former friends of mine. What is that about? While visiting my manager a woman gets my attention and says "you know meelah, right?" "Yea!" I say. We introduce ourselves properly and she proceeds to give me the latest haps on meelah including meelah's move to ATL.

I hate running into people that I know...or should I say used to know. I'm feeling like these 2 former friends are going to resurface sooner or later if I am running into their friends. It's like a sign.

Ok, back to the day's haps. I finally leave my manager's office and make my way to meeting place to hook up with Trent. We agreed to meet at Hallmark at the wonderful Ladera Center in Ladera Heights.

When I entered Hallmark I noticed that Trent was busy with the cashier trying to buy something. I sneak up behind smack him on his arm and shout "Hey, do I know you?" He jumped back like he was ready to fight until he realized it was me. LOL!

We laugh and clown around in Halmark for another 10 minutes while I shop for a few cards. Trent introduces me to his buddy M, I give Trent his STFU shirt and recap my trip back east. Trent meanwhile is intent on complaining about his numb mouth or lip. He had just left the dentist's office. I, of course, had to keep making fun of his lip since it was swollen or something. What kind of smart ass, jokester would I be if I didn't take full advantage of that moment.

We finally left Hallmark after I found the card I was looking and made our way to Jamba Juice where we were treated to the best service ever by Edward - Jamba Juice's fun-loving, spirited cashier....not! This dude so didn't want to be at work yall. Edward looked like he was stuffed into his too tight t-shirt, refused to close his mouth as he looked at us blankly while rocking his jamba juice visor cocked to the side. Pet Peeve: you're at work dude. why are you trying to look hip with your visor cocked to the side? that crap aggravates me.

Ed: Can I help you?
Me: I'll take a Kiwi Berry Burner. Regular size
Ed: One Kiwi Berry Burner. What size?
Me: Regular
I looked at Trent
Ed: We don't have anymore kiwi juice
Me: Umm...ok. I'll take...a..uh..uh..Mango a Go Go
Ed: What size?
I looked at Trent again. He's grinning and chuckling. I look back at Edward
Me: Regular
Ed: Anything else
Trent: I'll take a Peach Pleasure
Ed: What size?
Trent: Small
Ed: Anything else?
Me: You know what? Change my order please. I'll take the Caribbean Passion instead
Ed: What size?
I looked at Trent yet again then back to Edward
Me: REGULAR

I turned and walked away from the register at that point. "This kinda stuff only happens when you're around" I say to Trent. "I told you we needed cameras around the next time hung out." He replied.

We got our order from Jamba Juice and started making our way back to our cars. In the distance I faintly hear my name being called. "Shawn! Shawn!" I stopped and turned my head from side to side "I swear I heard someone calling me." I started walking again when I hear someone calling my name even louder "Shawn! Shawn!" I turned to my right and spot the culprit. Lo and behold its my friend Kim's younger brother Mel. I excuse myself from Trent and M and rushed off to chat with Mel while Trent and M lagged back.

As I'm returning to the area of the parking lot where I left Trent 2 security guards walk up to Trent. I happen to arrive just as I hear.

SG1: Are you fellas waiting for someone?
Speaking to Trent and M. Me not liking the tone of voice the security guard is using barks out with attitude
Me: YEA!
The security guard spins around to look at me
SG1: Oh ok!
I cut my eyes at SG1 and Trent, M and I begin the trek to our vehicles again.

Once we get to our cars we stand around talking, laughing, drinking our Jamba Juices for the next 10 minutes. In mid conversation we hear:

SG2: Fellas! Fellas!
We stop talking and turn to look at security guard 2.
SG2: Fellas, how are y'all doing?
M: Good
SG2: Alright fellas I'mma have to ask y'all to break this up and leave. You've been standing around a long time.
Me: What? What are you talking about?
SG2: You're breaking the rules of the center
Me: What rules? I don't see any rules posted
SG2 looks around dumbfounded for a minute until he spots what he's looking for
SG2: You see that sign over there? (he points to my left) There's the rules. No loitering
Me: Loitering? What are you talking about? We just buying something at Hallmark and Jamba Juice. What are....
SG2: Sir, I seen you come out of Jamba Juice. Don't try to tell me. Y'all been standing here too long. I'm just trying to do my job. I didn't come over here to argue.
Me: Well don't argue
SG2: Sir, I'm just trying to do my job thank you
Me: And you've done it. Thanks!
Trent: Let's just sit in the car they don't bother if you sit in your car
Me: I'm not sitting in the car. This is stupid. Loitering? I just want to know if he's serious?
Trent: Very

I was livid. Can y'all believe that? Only in a black area would they try to enforce some nonsense like that with their rent cops. SG2 didn't know if I had any other business to conduct in that center. I had just finished telling Trent that I might stop in the shoe store to look for some new shoes. You best believe I didn't do that after jackass rent cop asked me to leave the premises.

Right now I am contemplating whether or not I'm going to write a letter to the property management of the Ladera Center. They have obviously lost their minds.

11 comments:

Fresh said...

Dannnnnnggggggg...They have got to be kidding? YOu still had juice in your cup and they are claiming you are loitering? You sure you weren't wearing a nightshirt with baggie jeans and spotless kicks?

What is it with these ADD cashiers who don't listen to your full order before cutting you off or asking you a question you already answered? I blame the educational system.

BTW, have some respect for the rent-a-cops. Like he said, he was just doing his job -- even if it does pay $10/hr.

Shawn said...

Bernie - lol...its

Berry - its 4:30 in the afternoon and there's nothing suspicious about Me, Trent or M. They have just lost their damn minds over there. I wanna see them enforce that crap in the white areas. Why would you disrespect your consumers like that?

Cashiers are special. That's all I can say.

I had respect for him until he opened his mouth spewing that nonsense.

chele said...

What size?
Ok, what size?
Seriously, what size?

I would have spelled it out in sign language for him. LOL

So, Black folks are prohibited from hanging out and talking in public now?

Fresh said...

Where 3 or more are gathered...sounds like some Jim Crow laws to me. Time to whip out the envelops and stamps. Who drinks Jamba Juice when they are loitering???

I used to be a cashier and I know I wasn't special in that way.

Mr. Kitty...too cute! Yeah, I figured it was the direction I was heading in any way so I might as well get a cat. Now, when I have a dozen, and my apartment is wall to wall newspaper and trash, then you worry.

Shawn said...

Berry - Jim Crow? LOL! I don't know if its that bad but something has to give. This is a center in the middle of affluent black community. I think they can find a better way of controlling the threat of violence, incidences or what have you than demanding you leave the premises if you've been standing in the parking lot for more than a minute

kathi said...

Wow, way to lose business.

dmarie said...

See, I gotta notice that Kathi has the "Right" idea :) As a people, we need to realize how valuable our dollars are to this economy and more important--it's what businesses care about most. I would definitely write the letter. I guess there's always a chance the guard was taking his role a little more serious than management intends.

Fresh said...

OK, maybe not Jim Crow but definitely a carry over of the Black Codes:
http://afroamhistory.about.com/od/blackcodes/a/blackcodes1865.htm

African girl, American world said...

omg I had 'a happy negro' show up at my favorite Indian restaurant a couple of weeks ago and I have to make myself go back cause this dude turned me off so bad thinking he was doing something...*sigh*

SP said...

OMG! LOL! What size is it? I would have busted out laughing right in front of him!

Harold Gibson said...

This just made me mad. And while I understand rent-a-cops jus doin dey job damn don't they need to make some assessments?

I mean dang Shawn you look young but you ain't no kid.

Just kidding.