Monday, January 30

Ain't Nothing Going On 'Round Here

  • Sterling has been harassing me about participating in Career Day at his school. He asked me in person, had his mom call to ask me again a few days later and he made his invite the subject of his 'friend letter' he had to compose for homework. The letter was pure comedy. I was making fun of him because he sat at the table for 15 minutes trying to figure whom to write and what to write about. I peeked at his paper everytime I passed by him and there was nothing on the page but his name. After about my 5th pass I see "Dear Uncky Shawn" at the top of his page. I say "What are you writing me about?" He says "Don't look at my paper!" When he finishes his first draft his mom sends him to me to correct his work. That's when I discovery he's made the subject of his letter another invitation to appear at Career Day. Oy vey! I think he wants me to show up so he can show off a bit. I am not down with that.

  • I helped AIM girl pack and move some stuff into her new apartment this past weekend. What an experience. We started the day with a food run to get pizza. She thinks she spots Denzel Washington at the Starbucks located next to the pizza parlor. "Shawn I know how you are. Please come with me. I have to go meet Denzel." I respond, "I don't think that's him." "Just come with me," she pleads. "Ok!" I respond. We make our way to the unassuming suspect. "I know you don't want to be disturbed but I just wanted to meet you and say hi" she says to him. "Not a problem" He responds. He gives me a pound "What's up fella?" "Oh, I thought you were someone else. Anyone ever tell you look like Denzel?" she offers with her face twisted. He replies "Nearly everyday I've been here since moving from Alabama." She turns to walk away. He adds "Oh you don't want to talk to me now?" "Naw, you ain't Denzel." We walk away, she turns to me "You knew didn't you? Why didn't you stop me?" I give her my patented "you's a fool" look. I hate driving with her. It's terrible. She drives on the left side of residential streets, she doesn't drive with the flow of traffic because she's on her phone talking and she cusses out everyone that's in 'her way.' I am glad I was spared listening to the lastest, greatest hip hop music. She's one of those types that listens to all the latest hip hop and swears it each new artist is the greatest of all time. If I hear her say "Young Jeezy" one mo' time...maaaaaann!! I don't think we accomplished much as far as moving goes. We made two trips to the new apartment to drop off 3 suitcases, 2 boxes, 4 pillows and 1 comforter. We packed two boxes for the movers, made a trip to goodwill and went to Costco and Circuity City to look for flat panel monitors for the new apartment. Not much packing/moving took place.

  • Thanks to AIM girl moving into her new apartment, I have been reacquainted with a childhood friend whose is the apartment manager.

  • Spiritual hit me with this today: "It was her time. Perhaps God moved on her behalf. If He wants you to have something, there is nothing anyone can do to stop it from happening. It's the Favor Factor." Me: "Favor factor....who talks like that?" Spiritual: "TD Jakes. I just ordered his new series Favor Factor." I roll my eyes. He's crazy.

7 comments:

Fresh said...

lol... I need to move to L.A. so we can hang...you need a new set of friends. And you bet not blog about me. lol BTW, you need to go to lil' man's career day. :-)

kathi said...

C'mon Shawn, please go to career day. So what if he wants to show you off, think if the roles were reversed, how pumped would you be show off your "uncky"?
And this 'denzel', did he look like the current denzel with a lot of grey or a young denzel? I've got a friend that's a flight attendant and she's in CA quite a bit...you could hook a girl up. Every girl wants a denzel.
Oh, and I do like Tonex very much. Thanks for the introduction.

chele said...

Career day ... I understand why you're not down with it "Uncky Shawn" but lil man will be sooooo disappointed.

"You's a fool" I love that.

I've heard of the "Favor Factor". Well, I've heard of having favor (with God) but not the "favor factor".

Shawn said...

berry - you are right, I do need a few new friends.

kathi - I was never into showing off as a kid. For that reason I always hated show & tell. If the roles were reversed I'd probably say "don't come!" It's still under consideration.

I'd say he looked like the Denzel in "John Q." I could direct your friend to the Starbucks where we 'spotted' him.

You're welcome for the intro to Tonex.

Shawn said...

chele - Have you done career days?

Don't you love the catch phrases ministers create?

SP said...

I'm sure Sterling does want to show off. Most kids do. I can never bring myself to do Career day. It's because I don't like to talk in front of people, but I'm sure you don’t have that problem. ;o)

AIM girl sounds like she has issues! I can’t believe she just walked away from “Denzel”. Oh, and you should definitely drive when you two go anywhere!

A childhood friend? That’s great! You’ll have to keep us updated. They can be one of the “new” friends Berry suggested.

D-Place said...

Aww go ahead and do the Career Day. He'll remember that for the rest of his life. Or would you rather he remembered that his mean ole uncle never does anything for him. LOL. My nephew used to make me play pool with him all the time. I was sick of playing with him. Now that he's a lot older he says that he really liked playing with me cuz it made him feel special that I wanted to hang out with him. Lawd if he only knew how tired I was of him shooting the balls off the table.