Monday, January 16

Things We Say

It seems you can't have a conversation with Sterling, my godson, these days without hearing his 2 favorite expressions: tight & shady. His mom has no idea when he started using either expression nor from whom he stole the expressions. We can't help but laugh everytime he calls either of us shady. It's pure comedy.

As I was sharing about Sterling with a friend of mine, she and I started recalling some of the expressions we've tried on through the years.
  • what up? what's the haps? what's upper?
  • peace, one, i'm out, late, alright then
  • Fa sho', no doubt, no diggity
  • the jam, hot, tight, jammin'
  • my bad, fa-sheezy, what the deal,
  • down low, the low low, sick, we like dis, we here
  • phat, dope, bad, for real, you lyin'
  • really tho, i'm sayin', def, bananas, hype
  • don't get it twisted, give me some dap, off the chain
  • off the hook, fresh, cool, sweet, bunk, ill, mad
  • pump yo brakes, slow yo roll, it's all good
  • props, whack, da bomb
Where does slang come from? Why does it make sense to use half of the expressions we do?

15 comments:

Fresh said...

Those are some mature slang expressions. We used to use those back in the day. Kids out here say stuff like "beastin" (I HATE that expression). Half the time I have no clue what the hell they are saying. I do know tight and shady though.

kathi said...

bananas??

My least favorite around here...'pimpin'.

And, hey, leave my stuffed spud alone. :)

Tasha Who? said...

I was just telling a friend of mine that the next person that said "Holla Back" to me, I was going to come within breathing distance of their ear and scream bloody murder... I think that will make them rethink their wording from then on out.

chele said...

I don't know why we use the expressions that we do. I remember the first time my ex-husband told me to pump my brakes ... I wanted to punch him in the face.

Shawn said...

berry - define beastin' i don't think i've heard that one.

kathi - yes bananas = crazy. used to describe how wild and over the top something may be e.g. "the party last weekend was bananas"; and used to describe someone's mental state.

grown women with stuffed animals scare me.

tasha - you know my pet peeve over used expression is 'hatin' or 'hater.' i want to punch every person i hear use that term.

chele - did your ex make the screech brake noise too? hahaha!!

chele said...

Yes he did make the noise -- jerk.

And, um ... I have a stuffed bear that sits on my bed ... don't be skeerrrd.

chele said...

I was calling the ex a jerk -- not you! I didn't want you to get it twisted!

SP said...

I don't know where these things come from. I wonder if people sometimes start things just to see if they can.

Oh, I heard of a new thing from my teacher friend. She teaches 5th grade and says that the new thing is for the girls to have a "Muffin Top". Apparently that is when they wear those low rise, tight jeans and they get that little roll spilling out over the top of the jeans. Even the super skinny girls try to get it by wearing really tight jeans. I couldn’t believe that!

Shawn said...

chele - i figured you were talking about him.

I am so scuurrrred of you and kathi and the stuffed animals.

sp - that's insane...muffin top? my friend's brother attends UCLA; he and his buddies use the expression "wolfin" in place of "lyin'"

"man, he be wolfin'"

i'ma make up something and see if it catches on.

Bballmom said...

My son and his basketball team call each other "Bro'" so much, I can't stand it. Every other word is "bro".

Also, when someone does somehting embarrassing, fall on their butt, say something stupid, it's "Al". But, they say it so it sounds kind of like "ow".

My 13 year old is stuck on "tight". I make him get out of the room, away from me with that.
There are a few other things they say, but I really have no clue what it means. Scary.

Fresh said...

EXAMPLE: "Why you beastin?" I even heard a "mother" using it to talk about her daughter..."Keyana want a cell phone for her birfday but she be beastin" Basically they way other people would use trippin' or wildin' out. I think it's a New York thing and I mostly hear teenagers using it. It is a horrible expression.

Another one I don't like is describing a girl as a dime...that irks me for some reason. There are plenty more I can't think of right now.

Bballmom said...

I have to agree with berry, I hate that "dime" reference. So disrespectful.

Shawn said...

berry - thanks for the definition of beastin' I don't think I'll be using that one.

why don't you like 'dime?'

bballmom - why is being called 'dime' disrespectful to you?

Bballmom said...

I think it's the way the boys say it. The tone they use. So sexual and not necessarily calling a girl "cute".

Fresh said...

Yeah, most gentleman don't refer to women that way...it is probably the connoctation. Same way men used to use the term "tender" back in the day. That used to gross me out.