Ok, people! There are some things you just shouldn't say. I know it maybe seem like a compliment but maybe you can word it differently.
I was leaving a building last night and one of the security guards recognized me. We chatted very briefly. She told me how much she enjoyed my work and I answered a few questions she had. She was really, really nice so I tried to be more engaging than I usually am. I think I succeeded...Anyway, as we're saying goodbye she says "Wow, you look MUCH better in person!"
I don't mind you thinking I am little funny looking on the tube, but keep that thought to yourself. I am sure there's a better way to express what you're thinking like "Boy, you've grown up!" or "You look a little different in person" or "You've aged nicely!" or something...I don't know...there just has to be a better way.
This a shoutout to ML, a brilliant actress, for working with me to get the kinks out of my scene. I have great clarity on what needs to be done for my audition this upcoming Tuesday thanks to her. She gave me something that was unexpected that I needed. I must "pay it forward" and give something of myself to someone else.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Now, you know darn well that she was just trying to pay you a compliment, probably even flirting with you.
I've set my dvr to record all the 'Gf' episodes, and I've watched probably 30 of them (hooked), but haven't caught the ones with you yet. I printed off of IMDb all the episodes you'd be on.
Okay...let's see if this pushes any buttons. I use to watch 'FM' and I think you're absolutely 100% hotter than you were then.
And what is this part that ML helped you out for? You're such a tease!
Hope you're having a great weekend. Hugs.
I understand what Kathi says about the woman paying a compliment but as public figures, you can't always be sure. It's always difficult for me to confront someone who knows me or likes my work because I always feel like they are looking me up and down, comparing me to my pictures, LOL! About the compliment you got. I would take it the same way you did because I am self-conscious and my appearance means a lot to me. So if someone said that to me I would be like, " What? What does she mean by that? So I looked bad before? " And it's not a good thing to me to feel like I don't measure up. No one likes that feeling. So I am with you on that. She may have been nervous but it's not like she's a kid. She should have known how to word herself better if she didn't mean it like she sounded. She could have said something like, " Your pictures don't do you justice! Or you look even more handsome than you do on television! " Those would have been compliments. But for her to say, " much better " what is that? Sometimes people try to insult you on the sly. How could you be sure she wasn't trying to? Yeah, she could have just had no tact but she needs to watch her mouth. I wouldn't want someone to say that to me either because I would spend forever wondering if I looked ugly before or this and that. True, people are not used to being around authors and celebrities like you and I but we're still people and if they watch what they say to others, then they should do the same to us. That is one reason I haven't done the book signing circuit or event circuit yet because it's so uncomfortable to think of how people will receive me outside of my writing, etc. I always get, " God you're tall. " And people stare at me like I'm Godzilla or like I'm the tallest woman in the world. But if you read my website and claimed you know me, didn't you see I said I was 5'11. It's hard to go out into the public and meet people who know you because with them, you always feel you're being compared to something else. If people don't know how to pay compliments they shouldn't pay them. She should have just said, " I am glad to meet you. " or " I love your work on television. " But I think you were right to feel that way. But you were handsome then and you're handsome now. So don't give this another thought.
I do the same thing ... you have aged nicely.
Yea, I feel you - she could have said it better!
Coming Into Reality,
-Jamal
kathi - I know her intent was to pay me a compliment (which accepted graciously) but that is beside the point. People should be more careful in choosing their words.
The name of the show is Sex, Lies, Politics & Honor or something like that.
stacyd- lol...you said it all...thanks for the compliment.
I know she wasn't trying to insult me on the sly. I know it was one of those things where she was speaking her thoughts out loud. You can think it but don't say it out loud.
Personally, I don't give much thought to negative things I've heard from fans. It goes in one ear out of the other.
I think you should reconsider doing a book tour. I think you'll be received nicely. Of course, you may hear a few wayward things but the good fans always out weigh the bad ones.
t-rex - you persist with that burger king man after our conversation. LOL
chele - "you have aged nicely" is good one use.
jfrank - thank you.
best of luck for the audition tomorrow
Would "The tv sure didn't do you justice," have been better?
iluvnyc - thanks
shellyp - it would've been much better.
I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it. She was just in awe of being in your presence. *wink*
Any time I’ve met someone famous, I have to tell myself “Please don’t say anything stupid!” It’s not because I don’t think famous people are just regular people. Just sometimes you get a little overwhelmed by seeing someone you respect, or idolize, or even fantasize about. Usually I’m ok and I have yet to make an ass of myself. But let me run into Morris Chestnut and I don’t think I could contain the “I Love You! I want you to be my Baby Daddy!!” I could just see the restraining order now…
SP - Oh no! Don't let me hear about you being taken to court for stalking Mr Chestnut!
Post a Comment